Author Topic: The SG-Booster  (Read 12058 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

SG Joey

  • Guest
The SG-Booster
« on: 11 January 2009 à 22:18:14 »
The SG-Booster is an account which we use to give "old" hardware a second chance. One of our members, RealSanta, collects all the hardware that our members want to donate and builds complete systems out of this. These additional PCs are hosted from different members.
 
For the race we can use the Booster-Account and the "weak account key" for people who don't want to create their own account at POEM.
 
But you can build up your own "accumulative account" of course...it's just an offer.

Offline Black Hole Sun

  • Charity Cruncher
  • ***
  • Posts: 66
    • Mon site sur le radio-modélisme
The SG-Booster
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2009 à 22:19:47 »
Quote from: 0
The SG-Booster is an account which we use to give "old" hardware a second chance. One of our members, RealSanta, collects all the hardware that our members want to donate and builds complete systems out of this. These additional PCs are hosted from different members.
 
For the race we can use the Booster-Account and the "weak account key" for people who don't want to create their own account at POEM.
 
But you can build up your own "accumulative account" of course...it's just an offer.


Nice concept :love:
One of our teams had something similar at the Seti Classic era : it was called "les Vieux Croutons" (if someone can translate :jap:). These were quite out of age machines, like a 486DX2 66 that I built to crunch the longest valid Seti wu (3.3x) : something like nearly 14 days of non-stop crunch :lol:

But your concept of CPU revival and hosting at members' is pretty interesting :love:

Alexander Klietz1

  • Guest
The SG-Booster
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2009 à 22:32:04 »
Quote from: Black Hole Sun

One of our teams had something similar at the Seti Classic era : it was called "les Vieux Croutons" (if someone can translate :jap:). These were quite out of age machines, like a 486DX2 66 that I built to crunch the longest valid Seti wu (3.3x) : something like nearly 14 days of non-stop crunch :lol:

But your concept of CPU revival and hosting at members' is pretty interesting :love:


I thought a crouton is something to be found in ones soup or salad. :D



/completely offtopic/

During Seti Classic I was member of a team called no disco where we tried to run Seti@home as slow as possible. Most members also used 486 pcs. I did not have one at that time, so instead I used this puppy here:



It could be clocked at 1x bus clock (unlike a Pentium), so I managed to run it at 50 MHz core clock and at this clock it was not faster than an Intel 486 because it had a weak FPU.

Since I wasn't satisfied with its slowness, I wanted to take it to the hilt and managed to install and run SETI@home and Windows 98 on a 386SX with only 5 MB RAM and no floating-point unit present. This thingie was so incredibly slow, it would have taken several months to finish one workunit. Unfortunately it crashed after a few weeks and I never finished a result on it.  :lol:

As you can see on the link above, I finished a mere 19 Classic workunits on this account, which took me more than 10.000 cpu hours, so on average it took 23 days to finish one unit.

Believe me, I had a lot of fun with this nonsense.  :)

/completely offtopic/

Regards
Alex



Thx a lot, Black Hole Sun, got your message. :hello:

Well, just to reply to your last question: Yes, we were aware of that 'deadline', but we didn't care about it, to tell the truth. This team no disco was not really for doing science, only for having fun. :)

Alex

Offline alipse

  • Charity Cruncher
  • ***
  • Posts: 29
  • RoadRunner et fier de l'être !
The SG-Booster
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2009 à 22:33:23 »
:lol: funny

Offline Black Hole Sun

  • Charity Cruncher
  • ***
  • Posts: 66
    • Mon site sur le radio-modélisme
The SG-Booster
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2009 à 22:35:08 »
Alexander Klietz1 : yeah, vintage crunching :love:

Did you know that seti classic wus were valid for only 15 days ? after that, they were sent again to other hosts ;)


PS : I had to recreate a dedicated topic as it was very off topic into the other one :D
But I had a problem to give you back your above post.
Now solved, thanks :jap:

SG Joey

  • Guest
The SG-Booster
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2009 à 22:49:19 »
Hi everybody...

good to know, that some people are interested in about these theme.

For more informations you can check our public thread in our SETI.Germany-forum...

http://board.setigermany.de/forumdisplay.php?f=55


btw: The SG-Booster is now a member of the Charity Team...


AND... maybe some of the people here are interested to crunch on this account... feel free to contact me!


best RS

SG Joey

  • Guest
The SG-Booster
« Reply #6 on: 12 January 2009 à 05:08:05 »
Great; My way to take part, because i don't want to register in one more project. :)

And as you say, the SG-Booster is now member, i can test the "Weak account key" ;)

SG Joey

  • Guest
The SG-Booster
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2009 à 21:58:22 »
Quote from: 0
Hi everybody...

good to know, that some people are interested in about these theme.

For more informations you can check our public thread in our SETI.Germany-forum...

http://board.setigermany.de/forumdisplay.php?f=55


btw: The SG-Booster is now a member of the Charity Team...


AND... maybe some of the people here are interested to crunch on this account... feel free to contact me!


best RS


As RS know i've attached my old AMD 2200+ for the Charity Crunch to the Booster-Account :) Very simple, just copy the xml file into the boinc-folder and restart boinc.

SG Joey

  • Guest
The SG-Booster
« Reply #8 on: 14 January 2009 à 23:54:31 »
.. well...

the first 4 guest-cruncher are arrived at the Booster-Acc...

many thx!!!


Be welcome... watch http://board.setigermany.de/showthread.php?t=2741


best RS

SG Joey

  • Guest
The SG-Booster
« Reply #9 on: 23 January 2009 à 19:55:17 »
Hi benefit crunchers...

i will renew my offer to crunch the benefit-crunch at the SG-Booster...

pls visit http://board.setigermany.de/showthread.php?t=2741 and follow the hints (in english too) .. the nessesary file you find also there (one post later in the attached files)

Best RS

Offline Black Hole Sun

  • Charity Cruncher
  • ***
  • Posts: 66
    • Mon site sur le radio-modélisme
The SG-Booster
« Reply #10 on: 23 January 2009 à 20:47:22 »
Sorry Santa, my Duron 1300 I planned to add to the Booster account doesn't want to boot anymore. The motherboard is dead (or may be the RAM). RIP.

Offline Mete_SG

  • Charity Cruncher
  • ***
  • Posts: 37
  • SG 2nd Wave
    • The world in pictures.
The SG-Booster
« Reply #11 on: 23 January 2009 à 21:02:08 »
Quote from: Black Hole Sun
Sorry Santa, my Duron 1300 I planned to add to the Booster account doesn't want to boot anymore. The motherboard is dead (or may be the RAM). RIP.


I got some RAM here that may fit (DDR PC3200, maybe also some SD PC133). If you can evaluate that you need it just PM me your address and it is on its way by tomorrow. Just don't have any MoBos left, so no help from this side)
Crunching for a better tomorrow!

-------------------------------------

How my camera shows me the world.

Offline Black Hole Sun

  • Charity Cruncher
  • ***
  • Posts: 66
    • Mon site sur le radio-modélisme
The SG-Booster
« Reply #12 on: 23 January 2009 à 21:27:52 »
Thanks for your offer :jap:

No bip at boot, no fans spinning, so the dead mobo is my first guess. I tried the 3 ram sticks I have one after the others (2x128 single side and 1x256 double sided) but no sign of life.

I have serious doubts on the mobo: the mofsets seem to have leaked. So changing ram sticks won't help I guess.

SG Joey

  • Guest
The SG-Booster
« Reply #13 on: 23 January 2009 à 21:51:29 »
Hi BlackHoleSun..

thx for information...!
maybe next time ;)


btw.... last chance to attach Poem at SG-Booster-Account ('til the official lauch at 24th of january 09)

but feel free to join during the crunch... watch the posted URL (see my last post)

LETS ROCK THE SERVER FOR BENEFIT!!!



best RS



Offline Mete_SG

  • Charity Cruncher
  • ***
  • Posts: 37
  • SG 2nd Wave
    • The world in pictures.
The SG-Booster
« Reply #14 on: 24 January 2009 à 00:32:55 »
Quote from: Black Hole Sun
Thanks for your offer :jap:

No bip at boot, no fans spinning, so the dead mobo is my first guess. I tried the 3 ram sticks I have one after the others (2x128 single side and 1x256 double sided) but no sign of life.

I have serious doubts on the mobo: the mofsets seem to have leaked. So changing ram sticks won't help I guess.


OK, you're right. Sounds like a serious mobo crash. Anyway. Maybe next year.
Crunching for a better tomorrow!

-------------------------------------

How my camera shows me the world.