• Welcome to Charity Event Forums.

News:

The Charity Event 2022 is over. Hope to see you again next year.
Das Charity Event 2022 ist vorbei. Wir hoffen auf ein Wiedersehen im nächsten Jahr.
Le Charity Event 2022 est terminé. Dans l'espoir de vous revoir l'année prochaine.

:kookoo: :jap:

Main Menu

The SG-Booster

Started by SG Joey, 11 January 2009 à 22:18:14

Previous topic - Next topic

SG Joey

The SG-Booster is an account which we use to give "old" hardware a second chance. One of our members, RealSanta, collects all the hardware that our members want to donate and builds complete systems out of this. These additional PCs are hosted from different members.

For the race we can use the Booster-Account and the "weak account key" for people who don't want to create their own account at POEM.

But you can build up your own "accumulative account" of course...it's just an offer.

Black Hole Sun

Quote from: 0The SG-Booster is an account which we use to give "old" hardware a second chance. One of our members, RealSanta, collects all the hardware that our members want to donate and builds complete systems out of this. These additional PCs are hosted from different members.

For the race we can use the Booster-Account and the "weak account key" for people who don't want to create their own account at POEM.

But you can build up your own "accumulative account" of course...it's just an offer.

Nice concept :love:
One of our teams had something similar at the Seti Classic era : it was called "les Vieux Croutons" (if someone can translate :jap:). These were quite out of age machines, like a 486DX2 66 that I built to crunch the longest valid Seti wu (3.3x) : something like nearly 14 days of non-stop crunch :lol:

But your concept of CPU revival and hosting at members' is pretty interesting :love:

Alexander Klietz1

Quote from: Black Hole SunOne of our teams had something similar at the Seti Classic era : it was called "les Vieux Croutons" (if someone can translate :jap:). These were quite out of age machines, like a 486DX2 66 that I built to crunch the longest valid Seti wu (3.3x) : something like nearly 14 days of non-stop crunch :lol:

But your concept of CPU revival and hosting at members' is pretty interesting :love:

I thought a crouton is something to be found in ones soup or salad. :D

/completely offtopic/

During Seti Classic I was member of a team called no disco where we tried to run Seti@home as slow as possible. Most members also used 486 pcs. I did not have one at that time, so instead I used this puppy here:

It could be clocked at 1x bus clock (unlike a Pentium), so I managed to run it at 50 MHz core clock and at this clock it was not faster than an Intel 486 because it had a weak FPU.

Since I wasn't satisfied with its slowness, I wanted to take it to the hilt and managed to install and run SETI@home and Windows 98 on a 386SX with only 5 MB RAM and no floating-point unit present. This thingie was so incredibly slow, it would have taken several months to finish one workunit. Unfortunately it crashed after a few weeks and I never finished a result on it.  :lol:

As you can see on the link above, I finished a mere 19 Classic workunits on this account, which took me more than 10.000 cpu hours, so on average it took 23 days to finish one unit.

Believe me, I had a lot of fun with this nonsense.  :)

/completely offtopic/

Regards
Alex

Thx a lot, Black Hole Sun, got your message. :hello:

Well, just to reply to your last question: Yes, we were aware of that 'deadline', but we didn't care about it, to tell the truth. This team no disco was not really for doing science, only for having fun. :)

Alex

alipse

Black Hole Sun

Alexander Klietz1 : yeah, vintage crunching :love:

Did you know that seti classic wus were valid for only 15 days ? after that, they were sent again to other hosts ;)

PS : I had to recreate a dedicated topic as it was very off topic into the other one :D
But I had a problem to give you back your above post.
Now solved, thanks :jap:

SG Joey

Hi everybody...

good to know, that some people are interested in about these theme.

For more informations you can check our public thread in our SETI.Germany-forum...

http://board.setigermany.de/forumdisplay.php?f=55

btw: The SG-Booster is now a member of the Charity Team...

AND... maybe some of the people here are interested to crunch on this account... feel free to contact me!

best RS

SG Joey

Great; My way to take part, because i don't want to register in one more project. :)

And as you say, the SG-Booster is now member, i can test the "Weak account key" ;)

SG Joey

Quote from: 0Hi everybody...

good to know, that some people are interested in about these theme.

For more informations you can check our public thread in our SETI.Germany-forum...

http://board.setigermany.de/forumdisplay.php?f=55

btw: The SG-Booster is now a member of the Charity Team...

AND... maybe some of the people here are interested to crunch on this account... feel free to contact me!

best RS

As RS know i've attached my old AMD 2200+ for the Charity Crunch to the Booster-Account :) Very simple, just copy the xml file into the boinc-folder and restart boinc.

SG Joey

.. well...

the first 4 guest-cruncher are arrived at the Booster-Acc...

many thx!!!

Be welcome... watch http://board.setigermany.de/showthread.php?t=2741

best RS

SG Joey

Hi benefit crunchers...

i will renew my offer to crunch the benefit-crunch at the SG-Booster...

pls visit http://board.setigermany.de/showthread.php?t=2741 and follow the hints (in english too) .. the nessesary file you find also there (one post later in the attached files)

Best RS

Black Hole Sun

Sorry Santa, my Duron 1300 I planned to add to the Booster account doesn't want to boot anymore. The motherboard is dead (or may be the RAM). RIP.

Mete_SG

Quote from: Black Hole SunSorry Santa, my Duron 1300 I planned to add to the Booster account doesn't want to boot anymore. The motherboard is dead (or may be the RAM). RIP.

I got some RAM here that may fit (DDR PC3200, maybe also some SD PC133). If you can evaluate that you need it just PM me your address and it is on its way by tomorrow. Just don't have any MoBos left, so no help from this side)
Crunching for a better tomorrow!

-------------------------------------

How my camera shows me the world.

Black Hole Sun

Thanks for your offer :jap:

No bip at boot, no fans spinning, so the dead mobo is my first guess. I tried the 3 ram sticks I have one after the others (2x128 single side and 1x256 double sided) but no sign of life.

I have serious doubts on the mobo: the mofsets seem to have leaked. So changing ram sticks won't help I guess.

SG Joey

Hi BlackHoleSun..

thx for information...!
maybe next time ;)

btw.... last chance to attach Poem at SG-Booster-Account ('til the official lauch at 24th of january 09)

but feel free to join during the crunch... watch the posted URL (see my last post)

LETS ROCK THE SERVER FOR BENEFIT!!!

best RS

Mete_SG

Quote from: Black Hole SunThanks for your offer :jap:

No bip at boot, no fans spinning, so the dead mobo is my first guess. I tried the 3 ram sticks I have one after the others (2x128 single side and 1x256 double sided) but no sign of life.

I have serious doubts on the mobo: the mofsets seem to have leaked. So changing ram sticks won't help I guess.

OK, you're right. Sounds like a serious mobo crash. Anyway. Maybe next year.
Crunching for a better tomorrow!

-------------------------------------

How my camera shows me the world.