• Welcome to Charity Event Forums.

News:

The Charity Event 2022 is over. Hope to see you again next year.
Das Charity Event 2022 ist vorbei. Wir hoffen auf ein Wiedersehen im nächsten Jahr.
Le Charity Event 2022 est terminé. Dans l'espoir de vous revoir l'année prochaine.

:kookoo: :jap:

Main Menu

When and what ? :-)

Started by modesti, 04 November 2010 à 22:43:20

Previous topic - Next topic

modesti

UPDATE Jan. 15, 2011 - 12:08 UTC+1

When and what have now been fixed :D
When: From Jan. 30, 0:00 CET/MEZ until Feb. 12, 23:59 CET/MEZ (Look at  www.zeitzonen.de/tztimezones/detail/id/17)
What: MalariaControl.net

Hello everyone!

November has arrived and it is about time to think about the organisation of the next Charity Race :love:

When?

In 2009, the Race took place from 24th January to 8th February.
This year, it was from 17th to 30th January.

When should it be next year?

What?

In the last 2 years, we crunched on Poem and Docking.

If my memory doesn't fail, the aim of the Charity Race is to help a medical (biological) project that would need some more crunching power - as far as the project admin is OK with our assault on his servers :gniak:
Which one would you suggest?

Let's go and head for the Charity Race 2011 !  :hyperbon: :hyperbon: :hyperbon: :hyperbon: :hyperbon:
Last Unicorn of L'Alliance Francophone
---
Under the most rigorously controlled conditions of pressure, temperature, volume, humidity and other variables, the computer will do as it damn well pleases. (Harvard's Law, as Applied to Computers)

sdw

My suggestions so far: First 2 Weeks in February. Projekt: Rosetta. David Baker and his Team makes a lot of intresting new discoveries and they are in need of "manpower".

Servers should be ok to handle us.

Gruß Maik

sysadm@nbg

Maybe "RNA world" could be an alternative ?!
Server was stable during a non-race between SG an P3D this summer
If the admin would have been informed earlier, the workunit supply had been handled better. But this point I would neglect due to the "planning" of charity race.
but beware, project has beta status yet! I dont have asked the admin ...
Sysadm@Nbg

Susanne

I would like to suggest Rosetta too, perfect project, it's my favourite and worked perfectly during the Pentathlon, some time in February maybe  :D
best wishes
Susanne (Seti Germany)

alipse

Hi,

I agree Rosetta is a very interesting project, but look how many people crunching for them !

Maybe we shoudl help a project with less participant ?

modesti

Rosetta is indeed interesting, but when I see figures like these
Server Status as of 9 Nov 2010 16:41:49 UTC 
[ Scheduler running ]
Total queued jobs:    765,196
In progress:    443,809
Successes last 24h:    248,065
Users       (last day       ) :   303,400 (+98)
Hosts       (last day       ) :   939,654 (+356)
Credits last 24h       :   13,051,961
Total credits       :   12,101,878,779
TeraFLOPS estimate:    130.520
I wonder if they really do need more power.

I've been thinking of RNA World, too, for the Charity Race.

Other projects could also be taken into consideration. But if you look here, the choice of running Biological projects is not that big ;) [you may switch the language at the bottom of the page]
---
Under the most rigorously controlled conditions of pressure, temperature, volume, humidity and other variables, the computer will do as it damn well pleases. (Harvard's Law, as Applied to Computers)

sdw

RNA is still testing and im not sure the server is able to handle us. I send a PM to Micheal to ask him.

About Rosetta and the need of more power. Yes they do. They be very pleased about our action on Rosetta while Pentathlon. But i agree that Rosetta is overall a bit to big to fit in my ideas of pushing smaller projects.

Gruß Maik

Ryzen

It's clear that rosetta is not the project which needs the most of us but do we have an other possibility?

Maybe RNA but we must wait the answer of the administrator.

If he is OK I'm for RNA otherwize I choose Rosetta.

In any case, I'm very impatient to do this challenge.

sdw

I have an answer. Michael is very pleased to be nominated. He is sure to get the server stable for our push and to cue enough work units.

metepuck

Agree to RNA World. Sounds like a good option.

So we just need to agree on a timeframe and spread the word out to the BOINC Community?

Early February sounds good to me, Late January would also be fine. Really looking forward to join this team again.. :)

al@ON

Hi @ all,

Good for me, I :love: the RNA World (beta) projet, but regrettably I do not often crunch for it... excellent opportunity to make it. :D

For the Race period I think that earlier will be the best.
   "Libre de penser... pensez Libre" :p   =8?()>

lost68er

Yes, RNA sounds good to me. Biological projects are the best dest. for the charity crunch, cause of (maybe?) its medical benfit in the future... :gno:

And when will it start?

Greets lost :D :D

sdw

First 2 Week of february. Starting with the 5th and ending the 20th I guess.

modesti

Isn't that a bit late compared to the previous years?

I'd rather suggest something like 29th January to 12th/13th February
---

sdw

I agree, but Simap returns in January and will provide work for a full month and maybe more. Im curious if that conflict with those that want crunch simap more then do some Charity. In my mind the later the better for the Charity Team...